02 June 2014

What did these famous men have in common?

Other than the fact that they are famous authors -
J. M. Barrie
Arthur Conan Doyle
P. G. Wodehouse
H. G. Wells
G. K. Chesterton
Rudyard Kipling
A. A. Milne
Answer: They were all members of the Allahakberries* - apparently one of the worst cricket teams in history.

I learned this while listening to a podcast of No Such Thing as a Fish.

* named in the mistaken belief that Allah akbar meant Heaven help us in Arabic (rather than God is great).

2 comments:

  1. As a life-long cricket fan, I can say that Conan-Doyle was actually a very reasonable cricketer. He played at first class level amd played much of his cricket local yo me in Portsmouth - where Dickens also lived. Wells' father was a professional cricketer. Wodehouse was a decent bowler too. The authors also used to play an annual game against the actors at Lords around the turn of the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Minnesotan,

    I've been a reader for years now. I know you do your annual "what my readers are writing" post, and would love to see a "What I/my readers listen to" type post where you suggest podcasts for folks to check out, as well as what commenters are listening to.

    I've landed a new job where, in order to keep my sanity, I go through about 8 hours of podcasts per day.

    Thanks!

    josh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...